Home Stay Seminar for Host Families (How we pick our Host Families)
IPEE’s home stay program is a vital part of our Total-Immersion method of teaching.Â The cultural interaction, communication, and the students well being while attending our institute are the prime focus of thisÂ program.Â If a host family is accepted by IPEE, after completing a comprehensive application, interview and home inspection by one of the co-owners, the family attends a seminar outlined below.
ENABLING SEMINAR FOR FAMILIES
- To present the program and the specific point of view of IPEE.
- To establish the priorities of the school in relation with the home stay program.
- To delimit spheres of actions between the student and the family.
- to channel possible uneasiness and listen to suggestions for resolution of possible problems.
- To try to join two different cultures.
- To promote a relation of confidence between the family and the Institute in order to efficiently resolve any misunderstandings.
- Costa Rica: its strategic tourist position
- Costa Rican culture with regard to other foreign cultures
- Individualized attention / temporary availability
- Balance between Costa Rican and foreign culture
- Needs of a foreigner
- Privacy or loneliness?
- Form of address, relationship
- Showing one’s emotions
- Differences between hotel, bed and breakfast and home life.
- Integration into family nucleus:Â rules of every house.
- Discretional use of the service
- Efficiency of the service (and amenities)
- Food and nourishing habits in general
- Limits of action radius
- Member or intruder?Â Change of habits in the family routine
- Reasons why the service is offered
- My liberty ends when the liberty of the other starts.
- Delightful moments and deceptions of every age.
- Physical, mental and emotional handicaps
- Taboos:Â religion – racism – sexuality
- Duties and rights of the lodger
- Letter of the Institute to the family
- Doubts and suggestions